Sunday, January 4

Major Dilemma

Hi all, first i want to wish everyone here a belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. It's 2009 and i believed this year could be quite promising for some while depressing for many due to the financial recession that are happening now.

Well, it's 4:23AM on my clock now and I'm sleepless tonight. I couldn't sleep because I'm facing a major dilemma as we speak. Well last week, i went for a job interview with a foreign bank called ABN Amro. I think it went well and the people there were so convincing that they would confirmed me by this week. However, the call never came and I kind of becoming very anxious now. Because of this job as a bank teller, I actually "cancelled" or "turn down" quite a number of other job opportunities. One of which is my favoured Technology Assistant job with HP. So this well my major sleepless night come in. It's not that i don't want to work in the bank or something but still I don't viewed it in my best interest or the bank best interest that I'm a suitabl candidate for the job. The interviewer had asked me about my long time goal and i told her that I wanted to work in the IT industry which they replied me that what makes me think that this banking job is suitable for me. I can also say that I'm under quite a huge pressure on my shoulder down because my family wants me to work at the bank.

I got to admit i don't think my best interest is in the banking sector. Eventhough I'm quite comfortable with the job but however, is this in my best interest? Is this also in ABN Amro best interest? I was told that I'll be put in a 6 months contract with a possibilities of converting to perm if i performed well till the end or earlier but I think about this myself, am i being fair to them that if i quit at the end of the contract to join the IT industry or i find a job that is more suitable for me? 6 months is a long way and i did not really had any banking experience. It's not unlike the time i worked at IRC Lanshop as I do had some experiences fixing up computer and lan server. I DIY my own desktop before last time and knows how to fix up LAN during my ITE times. With this, i don't really have any experience in the banking sector which means that they have to spend alot of time and effort training me up and if i quit at the end of the contract, I don't think they would be happy about it and neither do I.

The major dilemma i'm facing now is if i called up the Recruit Express agent on monday and tell him about my issue, i believed the best advice he gave me is to not follow up with the job. I just emailed Roanne and hopefully she will see my email on monday morning but there are also risk that the position is not opened anymore or I failed the interview with HP. So it's back to square one again. But then in life, it's all about risking something for another. Can i really be a risktaker?

I know that in my life, i had not taken that much of a risk before but this would be my biggest risk. I will still call up Kenneth on monday morning to voice out my issue. I think IT industry is still my ideal career line. Think i might need to do some praying tomorrow or something.

Anyway, I don't think i'll be able to sleep tonight anyway. I can't wait for monday to come fast.